Most Common English Words (no. 5)
The next word on the list is a conjunction or a word that connects words and phrases to make one sentence. The word is “and“. There are basically three ways to use it.
First, it can be used to mean “also”.
- We were tired and sleepy after the practice.
- I cleaned my room and did the laundry.
It is also used to mean “then” or “as a result”.
- I got up and had my breakfast.
- Stand near the window and you’ll see the ocean.
Finally, “and” can be used to connect the same words to make their meaning stronger.
- She spends hours and hours studying for the exam. (“Hours and hours” means a very long time.)
- We laughed and laughed because the comedian was funny. (We laughed a lot.)
These are the most important things to know about “and“. The next post will be about the 6th most common word in the English language. It’s one of the smallest words in this list because it’s made of only one letter. Can you guess what it is?