Last week I met a friend by chance. He’s half Japanese and a university student, and we talked about a lot of things just outside Lawson’s.
One of the things we talked about was relationships, and he told me that if he had a girlfriend, he would like to have a girlfriend who’s international. I agree with him, but what is an international person?
According to the International Baccalaureate, a non-profit educational foundation, an internationally-minded person:
- knows how to learn independently and with others
- knows about a lot of different things and local and global issues
- uses critical and creative thinking skills to analyze problems
- confidently and creatively communicates in more than one language, and listens carefully to the perspectives of different individuals
- respects the rights of people everywhere
- appreciates his/her own culture as well as others’