Happy Chinese New Year!
Today is the first day of the Chinese calendar and this year is the year of the dog.
My family doesn’t really celebrate Chinese New Year but I have a friend who has Chinese ancestry and whose family celebrates it, and these are the tips she gave me to be lucky this year:
- Get a haircut before New Year’s Day
- Clean house before New Year’s Day
- Display tangerines and oranges in the house on New Year’s Eve and Day
- Eat tangerine and orange on New Year’s Day to be lucky
- Wear brand new clothes on New Year’s Day
- Wear clothes that are your lucky colors during the year of the dog
I know these are just superstitions, but I cleaned my apartment anyway. I don’t know if it will make me lucky but having a really clean house can make anyone feel good, I think.
superstition – a belief that certain events or things will bring good or bad luck